Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Mission: Applesauce Pancakes

Now that Charlotte is off the bottle and drinking whole milk exclusively,  I have been trying to come up with wholesome meals for her to eat every day without spending every waking minute cooking for her. She has been drinking 4 oz. of organic whole milk four times a day and doing great. I really think she likes how cold the milk is straight from the refrigerator. She loves waffles and pancakes for breakfast and her current favorite food is whole wheat toast! Since she loves bread so much I decided to try out some applesauce pancakes. These have been a big hit and, the best part about them, they freeze really well! So we can grab one from the freezer, pop it in the toaster and voila!

Applesauce Pancakes
Adapted from wholesometoddlerfood.com
 1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 cup whole milk
1 beaten egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups applesauce*

*I made my own homemade applesauce for this but I think jarred would be fine as well. I used the Baby Beaba and three Fuji Apples. I peeled the apples, cut them into chunks and then steamed them in the Beaba using water level 2. Then I ground them and added in a few dashes of cinnamon along with all of the cooking water. It made about 2 cups worth of applesauce. Plenty for the pancakes and some leftovers for later!

Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl. Combine butter, milk and egg.  Stir into dry ingredients. Add vanilla and applesauce; mix well. Spoon batter into a hot, well-greased griddle or frying pan. Make pancakes as large or small as you like.

Once these were done and completely cooled, I wrapped each pancake in wax paper and then put them all in a gallon sized freezer bag. They are ready to go for meals or snacks and have been a big hit with Charlotte!

No comments:

Post a Comment