Friday, June 15, 2012

Mission: Book Review - Your Baby's First Year Week by Week

Your Baby's First Year Week by Week
by Glade B. Curtis and Judith Schuler

I faithfully read this book every Thursday night for the past year while not really following much of the "advice". I did like reading some of the milestones even though Charlotte seemed to be far past them each week.

I did have some major discrepancies with the book such as letting a baby cry it out, when to start solids, how many naps per day they should be taking, etc. Also I found that a lot of the information directly contradicted what the AAP recommends which is something that I definitely do not take lightly and so for that reason alone I really cannot recommend this book to anyone. I just don't want some people to read it and take that advice to heart.

One other major thing it recommends is weaning your baby from breastfeeding at 16 weeks. While I did not breastfeed I do think that it's a major accomplishment for those that do and I know that it is recommended until your baby is at least 12 months old. So I'm not really sure why the book would make such a recommendation.

I have read several other books this past year and will try to do separate reviews on all of them at some point. My favorites were Baby 411 by Denise Fields and Ari Brown, M.D., What to Expect the First Year by Heidi Murkoff, Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp and, of course, On Becoming Babywise by Gary Ezzo and Robert Buckman, M.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment